Content Management Systems: A comparative Study
Content Management System is born for non-techies as its functionalities seem to be very easy to use. CMS is composed of Content Management Application, which facilitates manipulation of content and Content Delivery Application which compiles and updates the site.
WordPress, Joomla and Drupal are the most widely used open source CMS and built on MySQL+PHP. One of the few negatives of these open source content management systems is that they are more vulnerable to security threats.
Now, let me take you through some pros and cons of these content management systems:
- Highly Secure
- Flexible for API development
- Bugs can be fixed in short Time.
- Powerful Content management system
- It is complex compared to WordPress and Joomla.
- Need technical knowledge to handle.
Recommended Usage -: For large projects.
- It is the most popularly used CMS and most suited for simple websites.
- The way of usage leads to security vulnerabilities.
- Huge plugins and themes were available
- User Friendly and easily customisable.
- Content management capability is less as it is mainly focused for blogging platform.
- Incapable of handling huge contents.
- Less Secure.
Security Guidelines for usage
- Use strong username and passwords.
- Avoid usage of plugin and themes from untrusted users
- Deny access to wp-content directories
- Remove version Information from Meta
- Regularly backup and update your site.
Recommended Usage -: For small-medium Projects, Blogs
- Better Content management capability.
- Do not need much technical experience to handle it compared with Drupal.
- Do not have many themes and plug-ins.
- It is not as easy as WordPress and not as developer friendly as Drupal.
Recommended Usage -: Small to mid-tier e-commerce sites, Social networking sites.
I believe that I have covered most of the important aspects with respect to these commonly used content management systems (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal) with this post. I will be back with similar comparative studies or analysis, meanwhile, feel free to drop in a comment below to let me what you think about this analysis.